Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary Conservation Volunteers
Volunteering allows you to immerse yourself into the ecosystem of Kangaroo Island.You will become familiar with the sights and sounds of many native species that you encounter daily. No air, light or noise pollution just the sounds of the bush and in the evening the brightest stars you will ever see. The experience will inspire you and give you a new outlook on the world
VOLUNTEERING ACTIVITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Monitoring koalas and other wildlife
- Seed collection, propagation, dispersal
- Identifying & cataloguing native plants
- Maintaining paths,checking fences
- Surveying ,photographing and recording wildlife
- Planting trees and shrubs
- Assisting with tourists/visitors
- Participating in Guided tours
- Weed control
- Recycling and composting
Food provisions will be provided weekly and there is a fully equipped kitchen in your quarters for preparing breakfast and dinners. You and your fellow volunteers will cook as a team (sharing the cooking and clean-up responsibilities). A sandwich lunch will be prepared for you at the visitor centre (this may vary).
Accommodation is in the Farmhouse, this is share accommodation (same gender- sharing with a maximum of four people per room). It is a pleasant roomy house with a large Kitchen, lounge, separate dining room and large snooker/games room. The house has two shared bathrooms. There are plenty of DVD's, books, and magazines to entertain you (dvd player has a USB option should you want to bring your own).
There is an outside BBQ and dining area with plenty of wildlife nearby and just 250 metres from the Visitor Centre.
What to Bring
- Clothing suitable for both hot and cold conditions
- Work clothing
- Work Shoes
- Sun Hat
- Warm hat
- Sun Block
- Hiking or good walking shoes.
- Laptop, ipad or similar
The weather is variable on the Island , nights can be cool, days can be warm, we encourage volunteers to come prepared for both summer and winter conditions.
Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is in close proximity to Flinders Chase National Par , Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Kelly Hill Caves. Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is also very close to a breathtakingly beautiful beach where you can either swim or fish. Bush walking is also very popular with various trails nearby. Volunteers are encouraged to visit all of these wonderful sights.
Once a week there is an optional trip to Kingscote to reacquaint with civilisation, shops, cafes, galleries, etc.
Free Time activities that can be arranged at your cost could include.
- Dive with the Dolphins with KI Marine Tours (warmer months)
- Quad bike Tour
- Canoe Hire with KI Outdoor Action
- Birds of Prey show
- Seal Bay visit
- Little Sahara
- Kelly Hill Caves
- Sealink day tours (recommended for before or after you volunteers experience)
Two weeks AUD $ 1,312.50
Additional weeks AUD $ 625.00
Please contact us as we sometimes offer discounts depending on the season,the work load and our other needs.
Program Cost Includes
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Use of Linen
- Volunteer T shirt
- Certificate of Achievement
- Volunteers will visit Flinders Chase National Park
Program cost Does Not Include
- Ferry and connections to & from Adelaide & Kingscote, Kangaroo Island
- Travel Insurance - Must have full working holiday insurance cover
Please note all pick- ups from Kingscote are on Thursday at 11 am each week.
We can also accommodate volunteer groups. They become involved in larger project activities. Please contact us for more details.