Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary Conservation Volunteers
Volunteering activities may include;
- Planting trees and shrubs
- Conservation work
- Maintaining paths
- Maintaining vegetable garden
- Firewood collection
- Assisting with cleaning and laundry
- Fence maintenance
- Monitoring Koalas
- Assisting with tourists/visitors
- Participating in Guided tours
- Weed control
- Assist in survey and monitoring of animals
Food provisions will be provided weekly and there is a fully equipped kitchen in your quarters for preparing breakfast and dinners. You and your fellow volunteers will cook as a team (sharing the cooking and clean-up responsibilities). The meals are always generous and tasty. A sandwich lunch will be prepared for you at the visitor centre (this may vary).
Accommodation is in the Farmhouse, this is share accommodation (same gender- sharing with a maximum of four people per room). It is a pleasent roomy house with a large Kitchen, lounge, spereate dining room and large snooker/games room. The house has two shared bathrooms. There are plenty of DVD's, books, and magazines to entertain you (dvd player has a USB option should you want to bring your own).
There is an outside BBQ and dining area with plenty of wildlife nearby and just 250 metres from the Visitor Center.
What to Bring
- Clothing suitable for both hot and cold conditions
- Work clothing
- Work Shoes
- Sun Hat
- Warm hat
- Sun Block
- Hiking or good walking shoes.
- Laptop, ipad or similar for internet access (wifi from the visitor center).
The weather is variable on the Island , nights can be cool, days can be warm, we encourage volunteers to come prepared for both summer and winter conditions.
Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is in close proximity to Flinders Chase National Par , Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Kelly Hill Caves. Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is also very close to a breathtakingly beautiful beach where you can either swim or fish. Bush walking is also very popular with various trails nearby. Volunteers are encouraged to visit all of these wonderful sights. Some mountain bikes are available for volunteer use, helmets must be worn on all public roads.
Once a week there is an optional trip to Kingscote to reacquaint with civilisation, shops, cafes, galleries, etc.
Free Time activities that can be arranged at your cost could include.
- Dive with the Dolphins with KI Marine Tours (warmer months)
- Quad bike Tour with KI Outdoor Action
- Canoe Hire with KI Outdoor Action
- Birds of Prey show
- Seal Bay visit
- Little Sahara
- Kelly Hill Caves
Program Cost Includes
- Free pickup from Kingscote, Kangaroo Island
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Use of Linen
- Use of Mountain Bikes
- Volunteer T shirt
- Certificate of Achievement
- Volunteers will visit Flinders Chase National Park (Remarkable Rocks and Admiral's Arch)
Program cost per volunteer
- 2 weeks AUD$998.00
- Extra weeks are AUD$499.00
Program cost Does Not Include
- Ferry and connections to & from Adelaide & Kingscote, Kangaroo Island
- Travel Insurance - Must have full working holiday insurance cover
Please note all pick- ups from Kingscote and Kingscote Airport are on a Thursday between 10am and 2pm each week.
We can also accommodate volunteer groups and that become involved in larger project activities. Please contact us for more details.